Friday, November 13, 2015

Weekend Things ~ Chili-in'

Way back a month or so ago, after our first frost, I picked all of the chili peppers off the plants, cooked the few poblanos that made it to maturity into chile rellenos, and stuffed the rest in a bag. C used quite a few in making salsa, but the rest, we just kind of forgot about, ignored.


Once in a while, one of us would say, "We should do something about those chiles," and the other would agree, and then nothing would happen. Then this weekend, C pointed out to me that they were starting to rot, and the crisis that I usually require for action spurred me on. 

I sorted out the still good chiles from the nasty ones and had enough to make two jars of pickled jalapeƱos, using Catherine Newman's brilliant refrigerator pickle anything recipe. I had some brine left over, so I threw a bunch of mini rainbow carrots in a jar and pickled them, too.


The rest of not-rotten chiles, which are a different variety (I'm not sure what), were already starting to whither a bit, so I strung them up to dry.


I suppose the crisis-response method of food preservation is not the most efficient, and it's fairly wasteful (oh, those sad chilis I had to throw away), but sometimes it's what's needed to get the job done.

6 comments:

  1. Love your chilli gardand! Do you have to keep the pickled chillis & carrots in the fridge?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you do. I added a link to the recipe, which I forgot earlier. Enjoy!

      Delete
  2. Yum! The rhubarb pickles turned out so good, btw. I've been meaning to make some carrot & jalapeno pickles too, after I had some at a restaurant here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh! So glad you made the rhubarb pickes!! I love them so. The only other thing I made was radish pickles early in the summer. They turned the pickle juice such a pretty shade of magenta.

      Delete
  3. "The crisis-response method of food preservation"...wait, is there another way?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...