Thursday, May 14, 2015

Mother's Day and May Goings-On

I had a wonderful Mother's Day.
C made a plan that we go for an early hike then out for brunch at our local farm store/gathering place before E and Z's Sunday afternoon baseball practice.

An "early" hike for us meant we hit the trail around 9 a.m.


We went to a place that we visited last fall for the first time in a long time, an old favorite of ours. 

It was a beautiful, sunny day, though we hit it right in the perfect black fly temperature window, so we kept moving at a good clip until we got down to the river, where a breeze kept the bugs at bay.

Despite the bugs, we did manage to do a lot of looking up (for birds) and looking down (for wildflowers*) as we went along.

Once at the river, the boys did their favorite thing--throwing rocks in the water.


And I pulled out a book a friend had given me recently, but hoping for a few minutes to read without the constant refrain of "Mom!" was a bit much to ask. It was, after all, Mother's Day.


C got me a fitness device, about which I'm ridiculously excited and can't shut up (want to know how many steps I've taken today? No? Okay.). E and Z gave me a field guide to waterfowl (due, I think, to my woeful inability to answer questions about ducks we see) and M gave me a Ramones CD. Pretty awesome.


E and Z also made Mother's Day acrostic Poems. Z's reads:

Healthy
Awesome
Pretty awesome naturlist
Passive
Yummy food you cook

Makes me happy 
On the ball
Tidy
Happy
Enthusiastic
Rais [as in I raise him]
Stupendous 

Dandy
Alternative
Young


E's poem goes:

Handy
Amazing
Positive most of the time
Prettey
Young

Mysterious
On the ball
Tidy
Helps
Essential
Rocks
Stupendous

Dandy
Adventurous
Yucky

I have to admit, these crack me up. I like the combination of generic flattery (Pretty, Awesome, Essential), brutal honesty (Positive most of the time, Yucky), flat-out lies (On the ball, Tidy, Young), and inexplicable (Mysterious, Dandy). They remind me of this poem M wrote for me for Mother's Day a few years ago. What would we do without teachers to encourage our kids to write fabulous poems for their moms?


In other news, we're thick in the craziness that is May--three boys' birthdays coming up in a few days, a camping trip planned for the next weekend, baseball season. My Master Naturalist class is coming to a close this month, and though we have two classes left, I've handed in the last of my homework and presented my final project last night. It was a big push at the end, and I'm relieved to have it done, though I'll miss the class. But now I will have a bit more time to spend in this space again and work on some other big projects I have in mind for the coming year.

Happy (late) Mother's Day to my mom and all of the women our there who respond to the incessant, endless cries of "Mom!" I hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day!

*wildflowers, in order of appearance:
Canada Mayflower
Wood anemone
Sessile-leaved bellwort
Trailing arbutus
Bluebead lily

8 comments:

  1. Your book intrigues me. I had the same thought about reading yesterday afternoon with a cup of tea...yeah, wrong thought :)

    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd really like it, Kim. Check it out if you get the chance.

      Delete
  2. It sounds like a wonderful day! I love those poems!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fitbit (and similar) is addictive! Also, isn't it funny how (young or old) all boys seem to love to throw rocks in the water?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup. Pretty much as soon as they could pick up rocks, they wanted to throw them in water, and their dad (and my dad) is just the same.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I know! Love getting a little positive feedback once in a while. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...