Wednesday, April 22, 2015

April Knit #2 ~ Fingerless Mitts

I finished my second April knit last weekend: a pair of fun, stripey fingerless mitts.

I started these way back in February, and because I completed a few other projects in the meantime, there was a bit of a gap between finishing the first mitt and starting the second. By the time I cast on mitt number two, I'd forgotten how closely I paid attention to tension on the first one and so the second mitt ended up quite a bit bigger than the first. I ran it through a warm wash load, which shrank it to close to the same size, but gave it a denser, felted texture (and also made the top opening lie nice and flat). I'm thinking about putting them both through the wash again, hoping that the first mitt doesn't shrink too much more than the second. Argh! Tension. When will I ever get it right?


Nevertheless, they are nice and soft and a fun length (though I'm not sure what to wear them with...maybe I need a 3/4 length sleeve jacket) and I adore the colors and the varying stripes.

By the way, I didn't put on that shirt or paint my walls to go with the mitts--I just happen to have a lot of chartreuse stuff, including three rooms in my house.

Pattern info and notes on my Ravelry page.

9 comments:

  1. They do look like fun! I love the last picture the colours are all so toning :). Tension is a difficult thing to get right isn't it, I suspect we all knit slightly differently so no two people would be the same!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes...I know someone who knits so tightly her stitches have to be dragged off the needles...mine, not so much...they fall off of their own accord.

      Delete
  2. Love it! And I love that all the colors, shirt, wall match. Funny!
    I haven't been keeping up on your blog because I've been drowning in MFA. But I survived the semester and am resurfacing now. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amanda! I haven't been keeping up with my blog, either, because I'm drowning in life. Congratulations of finishing the semester!!

      Delete
  3. Love them! The stripes are so fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love love LOVE the mitts!!!!! A friend of mine will be teaching me how to knit with dpn next week. I'm super excited and a little scared. :-P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Yanic. Don't be scared of dpns. You'll be fine!!

      Delete
  5. Every time I knit mitts or gloves they come out different sizes! I try blocking them to fix the problem but it never quit works!!
    Love your stripes they are so fun looking.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...