Friday, January 16, 2015

Owl Pellet Dissection

As part of my Maine Master Naturalist class homework, I had to dissect an owl pellet last weekend. I thought that this would be the one thing the boys would get into, but other than a little help from E right at the beginning, they had no interest. (Due, in no small part, I'm sure, because E and Z had a friend over and were watching a movie. And because M is a teenager: "I'm not really into owl pellets. They're kind of grody").

Yes, indeed they are kind of grody. When I've dissected pellets in the past (ones we've found in our woods and, once, one that an owl ejected onto the roof of C's car where it stayed, frozen to the metal, while he drove around for one whole day before we realized it was there), I've dissected them dry, but the directions I had said to pour boiling water over the pellet and let it sit for twenty minutes.

I was hoping this would make it easier--that the fur would float to the top and the bones sink to the bottom, but it did not quite work out that way. Instead it made it quite a bit more grody than it otherwise might have been, and I spent a good three hours picking apart teensy bones from globs of wet fir (mildly scented like moldy carpet).

I came out in the end two sets of bones (plus one extra jawbone...where had that come from?) from two voles (meadow or creeping, based on the key that came with the pellet--a barn owl's from the Pacific Northwest).


The final step in the process was to assemble the skeleton of one of the unfortunate owl snacks. I don't think I'll be hired by a museum to put together their stegosaurus skeletons anytime soon--I had run out of energy on the project and placed the toe bones and vertebrae rather willy-nilly.



But it was fascinating to see the details of the shapes and how they work--the ball and socket of the hip, the thin, wing-like shoulder-blade, the needle-thin rib bones. And pretty amazing to think how these minuscule bones correspond to the bones in our own bodies and in an elephant's and a whale's. At class this week we learned to identify the skulls of many different Maine mammals, and the similarities and differences among them left me in awe of evolution and nature. As my college biology professor used to say, "Life is so cool!"

16 comments:

  1. When you said you were putting in water I thought, hmmm...good idea, wonder how it works. Not so great I guess.

    Nature is pretty darn amazing, never ceases to amaze me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it was not idea. But it's been a long time since I dissected one dry. The real test of which is better would be to do both at the same time, but I don't think I'll do that anytime soon!

      Delete
  2. I almost never see owls. Maybe actually never. But we are very birdy city still.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember lots of starlings when I lived in Texas...bit murmurations of them.

      Delete
  3. That is so cool. I am so impressed! My instructor for my Nature Writing class just finished the Virginia Master Naturalist course. Someday when I am done with school I am SO signing up for this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you definitely should. It's great training and so fun.

      Delete
  4. I have read recently about soaking a pellet before you dissect it. Doesn't sound like it makes it any easier ;). We dissected the one we found dry, it was amazing what we found in it. Owls are magical birds I love seeing them in the wild. We were camping last summer and heard a mother and baby calling to each other, we saw the mother flying through the woods several times and after much perseverance we found the baby, it was amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, what a magical experience! We hear them often in the woods around our house, but see them only rarely. It always feels like a gift when we do.

      Delete
  5. Very grody, but also incredible. I think you should hang the skeleton on the wall somehow--it's neat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! That would be a macabre bit of home decor, wouldn't it. I'll see what I can do.

      Delete
  6. This is great, Andrea. We dissected ours dry. I am happy to have your review of the wet method. It does not sound fun! I love the reassembled skeleton. I agree with Meryl, you should put it in a shadow box!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like I need to do a wet dissection and a dry dissection side-by-side now, to see which is the grodier method.

      Delete
  7. wow! That is the coolest thing ever! My boys would love to find a treasure like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do find one, Tamara. It is pretty cool!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...