Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Cables and Cables and Cables

The Three Kings dropped off a cable-knit hat for each member of the family last week (because someone hadn't quite gotten them done in time for Christmas).

When I was in Ireland two summers ago (how can so much time have gone by already?), I picked up several skeins of Donegal Studio Aran Tweed yarn, each a different color, with the intention of making a hat for each member of the family, each in a different cable-knit pattern, because Ireland. And also because I love the way cables look and wanted some practice knitting them (in case I ever get really wild and crazy and knit a cabled sweater).

I started knitting the first one while I was still in Ireland, but as it turned out, it took me several months to almost finish it (didn't I say I'm not a summer knitter?), and then I ran out of yarn after the first few decrease rows. I tore the whole thing out and started again, knitting it with one less cable section than the pattern called for, and still ran out a few rows before the end. So I gave up and turned it into a headband.

I then found an online source of the very same yarn and was able to get another skein in each the teal, light green, and dark red colors. 

I wasn't able to match the dark green or light red, so I found a pattern that included both cables and color work. It doesn't look terribly Irish, but it was a lot of fun to knit.



I discovered along the way that the disadvantage of using free patterns that I find online is widely varying inconsistency in sizing: the teal hat came out tiny, the light green enormous, the red-and-green a bit big, and the red just right but not quite long enough. If it were just my loose knitting to blame, they would have all been huge, right?



 I learned my lesson and actually paid for a pattern for one last hat:



When I made my order for extra yarn, I bought two skeins of purple that remind me a little of the heather that grows on the hillsides of County Kerry. I also moved down a needle size, because I really do knit loosely and I don't want an enormous hat. Although this one is intended to be a bit slouchy, I don't need a shower cap.

It's keeping my hands busy these winter evenings as we work through a season of MI-5 that I got for Christmas, our weekly NetFlick (last week: Little Women), and, of course, Downton Abbey. Maybe that's why winter is my knitting season: it's also my TV-watching season!

Pattern names and (minimal) notes at my Ravelry page.

12 comments:

  1. They turned out well in the end! They were worth the wait :). I know what you mean about free patterns they can be a bit hit and miss. I knit a hat recently and it was too short so I ripped the top stitches out and knit some more rows and it fits now! I can recommend the Antler Hat pattern from Tin Can Knits it is a free one but it was a perfect fit for me when I knit it up recently - for someone else!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sustainablemum! The antler hat is super cute...I love the way the cables taper to the crown. Thanks for the recommendation!

      Delete
  2. I hear you on free patterns, I feel into that trap last year with a hat. Love your hats, and the colours are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great selection of hats (and headband) in stunning colors.
    Interesting observation on free patterns, I'll keep it in mind when choosing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by EMMA. I'd be interested to hear if other people run into similar issues with free patterns.

      Delete
  4. Good work on these hats. Love them! I am continually impressed by all you do. And I am glad to find you on Ravelry now too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Amanda. I just peeked at your Ravelry page. You're one amazing knitter. Love those rainbowey blankets.

      Delete
  5. All such pretty colors! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...