Thursday, August 15, 2013

Trying Something New

Last December, when my sister visited me, she crocheted a bunch of beach stones for me. My original plan had been for us to crochet them together, but it turns out that a couple of weeks before Christmas is not the ideal time for me to take up a new hobby.


I picked up a few stones off of the beach on Great Blasket Island and decided that now, finally, I would learn to crochet and cover them with lace. I did once crochet a hat for C, but I never really understood what was happening. Knitting I get––stitch by stitch, row by row––but crochet can do all kinds of crazy circular things that make my head spin. This past weekend, though, I finally got out my (tiny, tiny) crochet hook, a brand new skein of lace-weight yarn, and a photocopied sheet of crochet stitches. After many, many false starts, I finally put together something that sort of resembled the pattern, and I began to understand what was happening––or should be happening––beneath my fingers. I hope to get it figured out soon––I think these would make great gifts (who wouldn't want a lace-covered rock?). I just need a little more time, patience, and some decent task lighting (and maybe one of those giant magnifying glasses old people use for reading).

2 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to try this too. I get the idea in theory, but I've not sat down and tried to crochet for a very long time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this: "I began to understand what was happening––or should be happening––beneath my fingers." I want to signup for one of those lace-covered rocks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...